Category Archives: Film
As the world is completely aware by now, on Friday the 11th of February we witnessed one of the most anticipated movie trailers for some time go live on the internet. It is of course “X-Men: First Class”! For those of you that haven’t had the privilege of catching it yet, I invite you to observe
With this we go back to what is supposed to be the very start of the X-Men saga. From the budding friendship of Charles Xavier and Erik Lensherr, to funding their school for the gifted culminating in the birth of two of the greatest figure heads in Marvel History…Professor X and Magneto! Whilst the main synopsis hasn’t really been divulged, we are led to understand that along the way we are introduced to some very familiar characters from the Marvel universe and educated on some not so familiar ones, this is nicely accomplished by utilizing such talent as “Shamless” and “Wanted” leading man James McAvoy (Xavier), Michael Fassbender (Lensherr) from Inglorious Basterds, Mad Mens January Jones (Emma Frost/White Queen), along with Jason Flemyng and Kevin Bacon. Flemyng is actually playing Azazel who is you look closely is red-faced mutant in the trailer that is teleporting during a fight scene; for those who don’t know Azazel, he later becomes father to a little blue faced german named Kurt Wagner (AKA Nightcrawler)! However Matt Vaughan (director) is making use of some very talented younger performers to play Xaviers Progeny such as Winters Bone actress Jennifer Lawrence (Raven Darkholme/Mystique) and Nicholas Hoult (Hank McCoy/Beast).
OK, now we’ve established the set-up, let’s get down to the meat of the trailer with the most notable points seen….
- The cuts between old and new for Xavier and Lensherr was very cool, nice build up.
- Had to look a bit closely at this, but in the library scene of the trailer I swear Lensherr has a semi-auto pistol in his hand! Can’t wait to see what that’s about.
- Emma Frost detained, but where? Why!?
- The montage of introductions to the gifted youngsters of the school was nicely done, although unless you’re familiar with them it doesn’t really give too much away. BTW, still can’t quite get my head around the fact that the little kid from “About a Boy” with Hugh Grant has grown up into the character of beast! Feel I’m showing my age a bit! Also, the makings of a very provocative scene as we see Raven turn to her ‘Mystique’ in bed, but who is trying to entice?
- Loved the shot of the Mark I Blackbird flying over (supposedly to save the day and prevent another world war). And I will admit, I geeked out a bit when I saw Beasts hairy face pop up piloting the plane, looks great!
- First of two favourite scenes of mine from the trailer. Magneto emerging slightly when Lensherr attacks a Russian soldier invading the school by making him stab himself with his own knife, I can’t describe how cool that looked, Fassbender looks like a bad-ass in that shot, and something tells me that’s just the tip of the iceberg!
- Hank becoming the Beast!
- Sebastian Shaw (Bacon), leader of the infamous Hellfire Club with Emma Frost!
- Hank discovers he can flip out in more ways than one…Alright that line sounded better in my head!
- Raven appears to be digging on Hank as they share a tender lovin’ moment. Could that be who she’s waiting in bed for!?
- Havoc appears! Yes I know he’s meant to be Cyclops’ brother. However, I think we’re going to have to see this film with a clean slate.
- Another Magneto immersion! He’s like a pissed off Jedi, this is going to be great!
- Cerebro is built
- Azazel is revealed as a very kick-ass character. Flemyng looks great made up for this role. Awesome actor as well.
- The first reveal of Magneto! This was one of the first promo images released before the trailer went live and the buzz was HUGE! The more deductive of you will have noticed that he’s in the same room Frost was being detained in. So I’ll ask again…WHERE IS THIS ROOM!?
- BOOM! My other favourite snippet, Fassbender hits us with what could be one of the best taglines for th film, “peace was never an option”. This gives me the impression that whatever he gets up to on his journey into being a supervillain it has been a long time coming and he knows it. Seriously, I honestly believe Fassbender would make a great James Bond!
- Final shot, Lensherr pushing the limits of his abilities by levitating a frickin’ submarine! Not the strongest end to a trailer, I think they should have ended on Fassbenders line then hit with…
- THE LOGO!
Throughout all of this, I truly think we will see several things come to light, things that were never addressed in the original trilogy:
- Why Cerebro was created
- How Xavier lost his hair
- What sends Lensherr over the edge and become Magneto?
- How does Xavier end up in a wheelchair?
Over the last couple of days I have noticed that for some reason this trailer has kicked off a riot about the film, even going as far as attempting to rally people to boycott the film based on its content and lack of accuracy to the original Marvel Comics Canon. To them I say this…The way I see it you have two options: 1) GROW UP, 2) F**K OFF, or secret option number 3) Just don’t see it and keep your opinions to yourself! I always prefer a diverse view of these kind of things, it springs debate. But there is a huge difference between debating banter and full on slating what looks like a perfectly good entertaining film.
I thought this was a great teaser for the movie. It gives just enough without giving too much away. Let’s be honest, we all know where the story is headed but it’s the journey that’s always the worthier part. And with the awesome vision of Matthew Vaughan and his amazing script genie Jane Goldman I have no doubt this is going to be well worth the wait. Don’t believe me? Go and watch “Stardust” and “Kick Ass” then get back to me! Very eclectic work with the two of them but ultimately driven by fantasy which is something I can definitely get on board with. Bottom line, I know what I’m going to be doing on June 2nd, how about you?